Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a Shorkie Tzu that is about a year and a half. He is

Customer Question

I have a Shorkie Tzu that is about a year and a half. He is constantly needing his anal glands expressed, about once every month, and I know that doing this can lead to damage of the glands. I have heard that the type of food you are feeding your dog can contribute to this problem, especially if their poop is almost never firm, so I was wondering if all of this was true and if so, what should I start feeding him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Percy a year and a half
JA: How old is Percy?
Customer: A year and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Percy?
Customer: He is currently eating Blue Bufallo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would rather not call
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Percy has had trouble with full anal glands needing frequent expressing.

It is possible that he has some inflammation going on because he's had trouble for a while. The more inflammation the more secretions are stimulated. He may benefit from having his veterinarian infuse his glands to quiet down the inflammation.

As far as long term prevention if this is still a recurrent problem for him I recommend weight loss if he is overweight.

I also recommend decreasing or stopping entirely table scraps.

A diet higher in fiber, such as a weight loss diet or mature diet, may help. Sometimes a prescription food very high in fiber like Hills r/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets OM is needed.

Some dogs with food allergies have perineal inflammation and irritation and that seems to stimulate anal gland secretions. If this is related to people food he is eating stopping the table food may help tremendously. Sometimes however true prescription hypoallergenic diet such Hills z/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA, or Royal Canin limited ingredient diets may be the answer.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****