Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog was eating grass yesterday so I assumed he had an

Customer Question

My dog was eating grass yesterday so I assumed he had an upset stomach. Today he is throwing up and pooping blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Hard to tell. He is one of those dogs that will eat anything if your not watching. Examples maxi pads, cat poop, etc
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cujo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cujo?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How old is Cujo?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Breed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is 6. He is a little lethargic assuming because he don't feel well. No pre existing conditions. He weighs around 15 pounds. Min pin/Pomeranian mix
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hope, when we see bloody stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. The vomiting is a consequence of the inflammation. It is possible this could be related to the ingestion of a foreign body especially if he is a dog that tends to eat anything. Other possible causes are intestinal parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Hope,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter