Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I JUST DISCOVERED A SEMI LARGE PUDDLE OF URINE AND BLOOD ON

Customer Question

I JUST DISCOVERED A SEMI LARGE PUDDLE OF URINE AND BLOOD ON MY FLOOR FROM YM DOG
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: SHE IS TWELVE AND A SMALLER DOG I AM SURE IT IS JUST AN IRRITATION OF THE URINARY TRACT BUT IT JUST STARTED THIS MORNING IT WAS ABOUT .5 OZ THOUGH OF BLOOD AND A BIT MORE SPERATELY URINE
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Hematuric urine - urine containing blood - is most often is due to a bacterial urinary tract infection. Her vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of your dog's bladder through her abdominal wall) and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection - the presence of bacteria and abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is usually prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of antibiotic is done to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, the urine might be cultured to identify just which bacteria are present and which antibiotic would be the very best to prescribe. This is called a bacterial culture and sensitivity and is particularly useful when the urine is quite dilute making finding of bacteria and cells in a urinalysis difficult.

Other considerations include urinary calculi (stones) and, less commonly, transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra which also needs to be consider in an older dogs such as she. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.