Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My indoor dog went to the vet yesterday and was diagnosed

Customer Question
with hookworm. He has...
My indoor dog went to the vet yesterday and was diagnosed with hookworm. He has had a "sensitive stomach" and some loose stools off and on for a month. His doctor gave a single pill and said that should be sufficient. Should I be concerned about contamination?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: His vet assures us that he should be fine with this single treatment. I'm just concerned about the risk of family members being contaminated. Should this be a concern?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 5 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

My indoor dog went to the vet yesterday and was diagnosed with hookworm. He has had a "sensitive stomach" and some loose stools off and on for a month. His doctor gave a single pill and said that should be sufficient. Should I be concerned about family members contamination since he is an indoor pet?
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 5 months ago

If you are worried about human family members picking up hookworms, the transmission is via contact with unprotected skin on the ground where the worm eggs penetrate the soil/sand. As long as you are good with general hand hygiene - eg washing hands after you have played with your dog, washing hands before you eat etc, along with wearing shoes when outisde, to prevent exposure to the ground from bare feet, your exposure risk is minimal. Be especially prudent to wash your hands after clearing up your dogs poop! Hookworms are readily killed by routine worming treatment and worming your dog every 3 months should be enough to keep on top of any environmental contamination.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 5 months ago

a good information resource can be found at the CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/zoonotichookworm/

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling