Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

How much childrens liquid benadryl can I give my 12 pound

Customer Question

how much childrens liquid benadryl can I give my 12 pound dauchound
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Its storming and he is so scared! He shakes and cries and pants so hard. He also tries to dig holes into the wall to hide
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Archie and he's 6 and the love of my life
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Archie?
Customer: No he's very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Benadryl liquid is 2.5 mg/ml so with Archie being 12 pounds and benadryl dose of 1 mg/ pound that would be 6 ml or 1 & 1/4 tsp benadryl liquid. Alternatively you can do 1/2 of an adult 25 mg tablet

Please discuss with your veterinarian anti anxiety medication to help with the storms, such as alprazolam (xanax) which is formulated specifically for anxiety but now there are also new prescription alternatives for storm phobias as well versus benadryl which will only help sedate Archie.

Minimize coddling him when he is anxious if you are able (believe me I know how hard this is!) because when the mind is in this anxious state it is telling him it's ok to be scared. Try redirecting with a toy or treat, playing hide and seek, or doing something that he enjoys if he is able but it may take medical intervention to get him to the point to be able to do this

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I apologize that would be 5 ml or 1 tsp benadryl...

I am glad you were able to view my responses. I am online another 15 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!