Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Just had a vet check today and my goldendoodle has low

Just had a vet check today and my goldendoodle has low platelet count?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: What does that mean?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Doesn't appear to have any pain....2 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maggie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: Appears to be in good health...72 lbs......Vet said to have her lose weight.....just called and wants to do another blood test next week.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your question, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

I'm sorry that you have this test result that is causing concern. There are 3 common causes of low platelets. The first is laboratory error. Sometimes if there was a clot in the blood or if the platelets clumped together on the slide that was being read by the lab tech or the machine. However there are 2 other conditions that can cause this as well. If your dog has been exposed to ticks at any point in his 2 years then a tick related disease (ehrlichia, anaplasma, rocky mountain spotted fever) can be the cause of the low platelet count and this could be the first symptom of the disease and the best time to catch it. The other, but very unlikely possibility, is that her immune system is attacking her platelets called immune mediated thrombocytopenia. A recheck of the test will help us determine if this is a problem or not. If the platelets remain low then likely the vet will want to run some other tests like a tick panel to make sure there is not a bigger problem going on. In most cases it's not a big deal. It is worth retesting but not worth a lot of worry between now and the next test. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you......that was helpful.

You are welcome best of luck!