Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My yorkie is limping on her left front paw. She lets us us

Customer Question
My yorkie is limping on...
My yorkie is limping on her left front paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes she lets us us touch and bend her paw without whimpering
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly age 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She has kidney problems but I'm sure that is not her problem. Whenever she walks she picks up her paw to walk
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry that your Molly is not feeling well and has this lameness. If she is not sensitive in her paw then I would be concerned this is higher up in her leg such as her shoulder or even her neck can cause a front leg lameness

Things to do at this point include massage the the leg from toes to shoulder and include the neck then back down again as well as rotate warm and cool compresses in 10 minute intervals if Molly will allow it to provide relief. I would also be limiting her activities as much as possible including on/ off furniture and up/ down stairs, allowing her outside only on leash to minimize risk of further injury.

Unfortunately if this continues a veterinary exam is warranted to evaluate the leg, determine the underlying cause of her lameness, and begin appropriate pain medications. With her having issues with her kidneys there are no over the counter pain medications that are safe for Molly and we definitely want to get her comfortable. Not using the leg in and of itself tells us she is in pain...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my responses. I am online another hour tonight if I can assist you both any further

I am checking in to see if Molly is more comfortable after you asked your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian