Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate about 20 mini enteman chocolate chip cookies. She

My dog ate about 20 mini enteman chocolate chip cookies. She is a 12 lb bichon shih tzu mix
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: It has been 2-3 hrs we think. She seems fine right now

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Do you know the type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

2- How many ounces or grams per cookie? (see label)?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Each cookie is about 10 grams total weight. Milk chocolate chips inside.

Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Are you there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check

Okay

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. In this case, the amount of milk chocolate she ate could be life-threatening. This is what you can do:

1- Move quickly and try to make her vomit. To induce vomiting give her 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit I would take her to the nearest ER vet and they can make her vomit with a medication called apomorphine and start her on a supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter