Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I noticed that my dog front dew claw looks more swollen than

Customer Question

I noticed that my dog front dew claw looks more swollen than the other one. Is there any home remedies I can use to ease the swollow for her. She is a small mini pincher mix who is 5 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: No, she is perfectlying healthy and happy. I think both of her dew claw nail broke off during one of her many chase with the squirrelsame we have up in the trees in the backyard.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I'm sorry to hear Sadie has this swelling. Is there any redness, discharge, or licking as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a little red at the top and she does lick it a bit more than the other one.

I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the dewclaw to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking! Please put a sock on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection which maybe the cause of the swelling or the swelling is causing her to lick...

2.) Trim the hair if needed to minimize trapping in of the moisture with the hair matting. Please use caution with scissors

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess but unlikely with this being a dewclaw

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the dewclaw.

7.) You can do epsom soaks of the foot to reduce swelling as well as rotating warm and cool compresses to help with discomfort and stimulate healing in 10 minute intervals

8.) Since there is licking or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you I would get right on that.

Perfect!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!