Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 13 years old.. body temp is 100.. won't eat and

Customer Question
gums are pale JA: I'm sorry...
My dog is 13 years old.. body temp is 100.. won't eat and gums are pale
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Big red
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Four years ago have treatment for heartworm and was successful and acting normal
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. If the gums are pale, then there is a good chance he is very anemic. That can be due to a number of things. A bleeding tumor, immune system destruction of the red blood cells or some long standing disease (i.e.; kidney disease, bone marrow disease, etc) are the primary concerns. The temperature is actually normal for a dog, so that doesn't concern me. The pale gums certainly do, though. I would highly, highly recommend getting him into your vet today to get some blood work done to see what is going on and see if there is a treatment for it ASAP. It is possible that he is in some form of shock, but he most likely wouldn't be very responsive if causing pale gums. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Big Red is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian