Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My labradoodle is epileptic and had horrible seizures last

Customer Question

My labradoodle is epileptic and had horrible seizures last Friday. 6 in one day He was hospitalized. He is on 300 mg of zonisimide 2x a day. I want to know if canabis oil would help him? He is 7 years old. He is the love of our life. I live in Texas so can't get it here but I would come to Colorado to get if necessary.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a dog a labradoodle 70 lbs
JA: OK. Welcome! How can I help with your dog?
Customer: did you get my last message?????
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jacques... what is the fee?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: it needs to be a vet that would know about canabis oil
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no except he is the sweetest creature on earth
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Jacques having epilepsy. How old. Is he? How long has he been epileptic?

Although cannibis is now legal in some states, it is still banned by federal law, which means we can't do studies in people or in dogs, so we dont know much about using it for medical problems.

There are reports of it helping with epilepsy in some individuals but may not help Jacques. If you can legally get some and want to try it, start at,a low dose.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have other questions please ask.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is a low dose ??? Could it hurt him. He's 7. We've had him 6 years. We adopted him when he was 2. He has his first episode with us when he was 3. But now he has cluster seizures. Before it was just one. He went a year with out any until this past march when he had 3 in 2 hours
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Since there is no regulation yet, every cannibis product is different in strength and concentration. The vendors in Colorado seem very knowledgeable and I would tell them exactly what you are using it for. They will know their products best. When dogs get into marijuana, it seems to be safe but obviously they can be sedated, drowsy, wobbly, and lose control of urination, so you would start at a low dose and see its effects. There are no set dosages or guidelines.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

This is uncharted territory and people are just experimenting with using it for seizures. I can tell you that every case I have seen of dogs getting cannibis, there was no danger of serious side effects and I have seen dogs that got a lot of it.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you saw my responses.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have more questions, please ask! Please let me know how Jacques is doing.