Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My dog ate a packaged deodorizer, she threw up and is now

Customer Question

My dog ate a packaged deodorizer, she threw up and is now just laying on the grass.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She's a husky malamute, 13 years old, doesn't look distressed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 4 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today. What is your dogs name?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cho
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Text is fine

Thank you. Has Cho vomited the packaged deodorizer back up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found the package torn up on the floor, threw it away and she threw up pretty big about half hour ago.

What kind of a deodorizer was it? Did it all seem to be there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was torn apart. It says deoxidizer.

Ah, that is very different. Does the packet say what it contains? When did she eat it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It doesn't say, she ate it about an hour ago.

Often these products contain iron to prevent bacterial growth. Ingestion of this metal can cause elevated blood iron levels and can cause gastro-intestinal signs and secondary liver changes. If she ate it an hour ago she will have already had chance to absorb some of the product. IF she has already vomited there is little use to inducing vomiting at present.

It would be advisable to administer activated charcoal to help reduce further absorption from her digestive tract. This should be available from most pharmacies or your vet. We should be aiming for a dose of 1-4g per lb and should be fed every 8hrs for best effect. It can be mixed with food or given directly by mouth via syringe if she will not eat her food with it in.

I would however advise getting her checked over by your vet. You vet will likely recommend checking some blood work to assess her liver function and blood iron levels and will be able to prescribe some gastro-protectant medication to help minimise any digestive upset. I think it would be especially advisable to have her checked over given she is an older girlie.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Going to vet.

I think that would be the best bet. It is not poisonous as such but could cause her some mild problems, so best get her checked out.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling