Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 13. I've taken her to emergency vet since

Customer Question

My dog is 13. I've taken her to emergency vet since February, twice. Three months before that as well. She was throwing up, diarrhea. She had to have a lobectomy. It seemed to help her and she started being herself. Then in April she had diarrhea so bad it was every ten minutes and basically looked like water. Got dehydrated so I took her in again. They put her on fluids. Took blood. Tested her feces. Everything came back normal. They sent us home with medication to help with diarrhea. She has been on it since and we changed her food to a food that didn't have so many ingredients fish being main one. They told us to do this. She has been panting a lot lately no matter where she is and even when she should be calm like right before bed. She is drinking a ton of water. Even though no diarrhea because she is on melds for it, she is acting like she doesn't feel good. Moving slow. Pitiful look on her face. Drinking tons of water still. Has an appetite. I don't know what to do. Every time they take blood work. It comes back normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Leena
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leena?
Customer: Her test from lobectomy came back normal. No cancer. She is an English bulldog that's 13. Weight is good. She does have a couple lumps on her legs that are hard that we were told to watch. I just feel like she is pooping a lot but it probably would be diarrhea again if she wasn't on the meds and going through the same thing we have so many times. At least she isn't getting dehydrated from it. Something is wrong
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Some of my time frame of things were all over the place. She had lobectomy in feb. Two months before this episode, was throwing up and diarrhea and they took blood and gave fluids. In April she went back again for not throwing up this time but diarreaha that was shooting out of her every ten minutes. Bloodwork came back normal. Feces test came back normal. They said there were more advanced testing we could do but at that point, I had care credit credit cards maxed from her surgery and a hearty bill with what they had done to that point that all came. Ack normal. She has been on medication for diareaha since. Changed food after April episode.
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 4 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help with Leena today.

You mention she had a lobectomy - was it a liver lobectomy or a lung lobectomy?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Liver

Ok, thanks. Has she had dietary issues in the past? Does she have a history of a sensitive stomach?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would rather not pay to talk on the phone. My husband would be upset if I paid for that.

I`m happy to carry on here, please ignore the phone call option.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has never had stomach issues. No dietary issues. We haven't given her people food since December. When we did it was only a little bite here and there. We stopped that completely. She acts like she is starving all the time

I would have thought if she had a genuine food allergy that you would have seen signs before 13 years of age. The other possibility is that there may have been an ingredient change to her food causing a reaction now.

It sounds like she has been through a lot in recent months and that in itself can put a tremendous strain on her system and lead to diarrhea. In these cases it is often simply a case of finding a food that agrees with her system.

However I am keen not to miss any clues, given that she has been through so much. Do you know the reason she required a liver lobectomy?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't. They never said why. The only reason I changed her food was because they told me to after the April episode. They found nothing with tests so I asked what else I could try. That's what they said to do. I don't know if that has anything to do with what's going on. This has happened so many times before I changed food(vomiting and diarrhea)

How long have you had concerns regarding the vomiting and diarrhea? Was diarrhea the initial cause leading to liver investigations?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last year she had an episode. She would stand and stare in a daze. Drool coming out of mouth. Threw up. Soft stool. Then she again had an episode months later. Same kind of things. Found nothing. In feb she was throwing up and and diarreaha. That's when they said since they haven't found anything with tests so far, let's do ultrasound. That's when they found that she had a blocked lobe. They did the liver lobectomy and sent what they took out to be tested. Came back normal. This last episode there was only one small throw up and then the horrible diarreaha started like I've never seen before. It was something off a horror movie. But no throwing up but once. It seems this has slowly progressed. When we found out she needed surgery. We thought they finally found out what was wrong. But no. Diarreaha starts again two months later.

Do you think the diarrhea has worsened since her surgery?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has stopped after every vet visit. Then after surgery in feb it came back in April horrible.

When did you change her food at the vets recommendation? Sorry, just trying to look for any triggers here and get the timescales straight in my understanding.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She doesn't have diarreaha right now. It may be because she is on meds for it. She just went p and it looked a little dark.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Right after April episode. This was after the really bad diarreaha that sent her back to emergency vet. I asked them since they could t find anything wrong, what else I might try. This was a suggestion

Ok, great. How long do you think she has had an increased thirst for? Is she neutered?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Diarreaha has not occurred since I took her in April and changed her food. She has new food and medication for diarreaha. Yesterday she started acting really tired. Really wobbly when waking. Standing and staring and fighting to lay down like she does when she doesn't feel good
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I noticed she has drank more water since surgery. I assumed it was because she was in pain meds and also noticed she gagged a bit from tube being put down her throat. Just in the last two weeks I've noticed that's gotten even worse.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now she is drinking and drinking, then gagging and throwing up the water she drank

Is she neutered? Does she pee a lot also?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has been neutered since about 6 months old. She hasn't been having accidents in house. She did right after surgery. She isn't going any more then usual.

Neutered at a young age is good, that rules out a womb infection that could be associated with these signs. Has Leena ever been evaluated for Addisons disease? That can have a waxing and waning progression, with increased thirst along with vomiting and diarrhea.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just know they have taken blood many times and tested her stool
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I was at chiropractor lol

It would be a good idea to ask your vet about testing for Addisons disease as it can cause these vague signs and is certainly a possible differential here, given her increased thirst. It would be useful to take them a urine sample. The other good test that you can do at home is measure her water intake over a 48 hour period. that can give a good indicator of whether she is genuinely drinking more than she should. Increase in thirst is something that should be investigated, especially if it has increased recently.