Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Not after we ate dinner tonight, our dog began coughing and

Customer Question

not long after we ate dinner tonight , our dog began coughing and 3 hrs later he is still coughing and now vomiting white frothy stuff ? he is around 15 yrs in age. has very bad teeth. we had cooked mushrooms with our dinner . could he have eaten one ? I know that mushrooms are toxic to dogs...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is it a harsh cough?

Any difficulties breathing?

Can he keep food/water down?

Where the mushrooms regular store bought ones?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they were fresh mushrooms sauted in rosemary and butter he ate dinner(fresh pet dog food) and i put some cooked chopped brocolli in it he is a picky eater. his gums and teeth are very bad, but do to his age I was afraid to let the vet put him out to clean them.they have alot of tarter build up and are falling out.he doesnt seem to have any belly pain just coughing up white stuff
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now those mushrooms that are edible for us are edible for dogs, so we'd not be worried if Charlie had some from your dinner. Though given that he has a harsh cough that is leading to vomiting froth, I am not as suspicious of GI issues as I am that he has some upper airway irritation. This could be from something irritating the throat (ie eating grass, hard kibble, eating bits of a chew, etc), then this could cause the cough you are hearing. Otherwise, common causes of see coughing include bacterial upper airway infections (ie kennel cough), parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis. As well, but hopefully less likely with his sudden onset, we can see coughing with lung disease, heart troubles, and associated with some respiratory parasites (ie lungworm, heartworm).

Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor him closely. If Charlie's signs are mild and since he is otherwise well, you can try him on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving him to cough. Furthermore, if he has a throat irritation, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce his signs.

Overall, if his signs are sudden in appearance, then the a bit of throat irritation and our infectious causes would be most likely here. Therefore, you can soothe his throat with the above if his signs are mild. That said, if he doesn't settle within a day or so, then it'd be advisable to have him checked by your vet. They can confirm if a bacterial or viral infection is suspect and can also listen to his lungs and heart to make sure these are not playing a role in his cough. Depending on their findings, they can address infectious cases with antibiotics and advise you if there is anything else suspect for his cough.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.