Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate an entire bottle of flea away 100 days worth,

Customer Question

my dog ate an entire bottle of flea away 100 days worth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: pancake
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about pancake?
Customer: no normal 20lb 7 year old dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat this?

What are the listed active ingredients?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
dog is acting fine now. she just went to the bathroom and threw up. active ingredients are Brewers yeast, calcium carbonate, cyanocobalamin, folic acid, niacin, pyridoxide HCI, thaiamine HCI, dl-alpha-tocopherylacetate.she has been drinking a lot of water. is there any food I should give her to settle her stomach?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see this was a all natural product since some of our flea treatments can be very toxic when drank by our dogs. In fact, this product mostly has B-vitamins which will just pass in Pancake's urine (it may be bright yellow for a few days) without worry. What is a wee bit of a concern is how much calcium carbonate has she had. This is because that can cause GI upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) but in very large doses can cause excessive thirst or urination, weakness, and hurt the kidneys.

With this in mind, we do need to let her thirst settle on its own, but if she had this less than 8 hours ago then you could consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 20 grams for a dog her size. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, for the GI upset, we can treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. After, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, most of the ingredients carry no risk for Pancake and her signs from the calcium are quite mild/moderate ones. So, you can use the above now to soothe her stomach +/- bind any more of this left in her stomach. Of course, if she has an historic kidney issues or we see very watery urine then we may need her local vet to treat with fluids to flush this out and support her here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.