Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gabby. our dog was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and a…

hi dr gabby. our dog...
hi dr gabby. our dog was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and a mucous in her intestine after an ultrasound. the vet recommended surgery and removal of her gall bladder. they said the cost would be 5,000 to 9,000.00 . we cant afford that. do you have any other suggestions/ she is healthy 9 years old and we feed her a healthy diet.
6/15/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you please clarify "mucus in her intestine"? If removal of her gall bladder was recommended, I would suspect that mucus was found in the gall bladder rather than intestine. This is called a mucocoel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. How can we treat her pancreatitis without surgery?

Acute pancreatitis is treated supportively. The includes fluid therapy and careful monitoring for any signs of ensuing complications.

Analgesia is of paramount importance. Acceptable options include meperidine, butorphanol, buprenorphine, or fentanyl

Antiemetic therapy can be important. Maropitant, dolasetron and ondansetron, or metoclopramide (not a first choice) should be considered.

Dogs with severe pancreatitis (associated with dehydration, electrolyte and acid-base abnormalities, disseminated intravascular coagulation, and/or other systemic complications) may benefit from plasma transfusions daily.

Please note that antibiotics have failed to show any benefit in human patients with pancreatitis and dogs with pancreatitis rarely have infectious complication of pancreatitis. Therefore, antibiotic therapy should only be implemented when there is a specific suspicion for a concurrent infectious disease.

There is no evidence that any other therapeutic strategy is clinically efficacious in dogs with pancreatitis.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexi. How is everything going?