Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I gave my dog a 25 mg tablet of Benadryl and he's roughly

I gave my dog a 25 mg tablet of Benadryl and he's roughly 13-14 pounds. He kept biting at his nails so I figured it would help if it's itchy. Will he be fine?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: He doesn't have fleas. He's been scratching at it all day though not sure why. His name is bandit
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bandit?
Customer: Negative, no other information.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned that you gave your roughly 13-14 dog Bandit 25mgs of Benadryl.

Benadryl is an antihistamine that is relatively safe to use in dogs, but it is not recommended in dogs with heart disease or hypertension, glaucoma, or prostate disease.

Benadryl can be given to dogs to control allergic symptoms at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 12.5 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. Make sure it is the Benadryl that contains diphenhydramine as the only active ingredient, please don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs.

If Bandit is otherwise healthy he should be fine with this dose of Benadryl.

Side effects may include lethargy or paradoxical hyperactivity, nausea and loss of appetite in some dogs, and dry mouth.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** say it had antihistamhines in it. I'll observe his behavior. It's been about 45 minutes and he's still acting fine. diphenhydramine is the main active ingredient though. Thanks for the advise! i'll be sure to monitor him!

Great, so it sounds like the only active ingredient is diphenhydramine. That means your pup might be sleepy, but he should be fine.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara