How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29058
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Granddoggie, a Lhaso-also got hold of a piece of Moser

Customer Question

My Granddoggie, a Lhaso-also got hold of a piece of Moser Rose Chili Chocolate and ate it.
What should I do?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You may not have to do anything depending upon how large that piece was. The dark chocolate in that product becomes toxic at a dose of a bit less than 1/3 ounce of chocolate per pound of body weight. How much does your granddoggie weigh, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
8-10 lbs, not sure
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

He would have needed to ingest 2-2.5 ounces of dark chocolate to be intoxicated - vomiting, agitation, and tremors are usually seen soon after ingestion. Do you think he could have ingested that much?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not familiar with that type of chocolate.....don't know how much I'd in one square
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

It's a good bet that a square doesn't weigh 2-2.5 ounces and so I expect him to remain safe. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but it's unlikely that he was intoxicated. I would monitor him only and only seek a vet's attention if he became overly agitated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.