Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I found a wrapper for Moser Rose ci. Lhasa-apso. I think he

Customer Question
I found a wrapper for...
I found a wrapper for Moser Rose ci
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Lhasa-apso
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, I think he ate speciality chocolate, MoserRose chili chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Lhasa-apso will be able to digest that. How old is Lhasa-apso?
Customer: Four
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lhasa-apso?
Customer: He is eating the other dogs food, drinking water and his tongue was hanging out for a bit.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How minutes or hours ago } ?
2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?
3. Was this just one small individually wrapped segment of chocolate ?

I don't know, I found the wrapper 40 mins. ago.
8 pounds, I think
I think just the one square of chocolate.

Thanks for that, working on your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 8 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 2.4 ozs of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly the amount of chocolate in just one segment is going to be very minimal indeed, well below 2.4 ounces, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lhasa Apso is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian