Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a weird question. My puppy has weird twitches

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I have a weird question. My puppy has weird twitches throughout the day. It's as if he's scared of something. It only happens during the day. This started happening about 6 months ago after he had a seizure and was hospitalized for a few days. The vet diagnosed it as epilepsy, but since he's been on medication the seizures have stopped, and all we get is the twitching we get now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Terry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Terry?
Customer: We had the blood work done with nothing coming up, had a brain scan done that came back fine and also had spinal fluid test that all came back negative
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2nd vet thinks it's a side effect to the anti seizure medication (phenobarbitone).3rd vet thought it was an infection (neosporan or toxoplasma), but antibiotics didn't make a difference.Also, the initial hospitalisation when the seizure happened, also resulted in a lung infection, trouble breathing and another type of infection. I can get the relevant paperwork if that makes a difference. One of the theories floating around is that he may have eaten snail poison, which resulted in the initial seizure/almost death, and that it's the anti seizure medication causing the twitching.The twitching only happens during the day. At night time he is 100% normal. Shining a bright light in his eyes at night time doesn't cause twitching. Fast momevements throughout the day seem to cause the twitching.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, the dog is a Staffordshire bull terrier.
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....so twitches like this IMO would either be from a mini-seizure as some seizures will literally just be twitching and then the other possibility could be side effects of the drugs....I would recommend trying Keppra, the generic extended release as it can be used twice daily and has hardly any liver effects at all...... much safer than Phenobarbital. I hope this helps.Let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Can I assist you further tonight?

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

If you need additional help, let me know. I will be back online tomorrow night. Sincerely, DRB