Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 11 year old Yorkshire terrier was bitten by a dog 3 years

Customer Question

My 11 year old Yorkshire terrier was bitten by a dog 3 years ago we almost lost her to sepsis. So moving forward the vet stitched the wound 7 months later the wound reopened, the vet superglued it but it's opened again. Now the vet wants me to pay for surgery so she can dig deeper in the wound to find out why it's not healing??? Does this make sense? Why when she first stitched it wouldn't she have looked before stitching?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Yorkshire Terrier bleeding a lot?
Customer: No just an open wound which I wash out with syringe everyday and apply an antibiotic cream
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkshire Terrier?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

In theory, yes, the vet would have looked before stitching. But it's not as simple as that. There are many different tissue layers and planes, and things can get stuck where we can't see them and would not even know they are there. So it is definitely possible that there is something left inside the dog that the vet would never know was there. In general, we flush the wound out with antiseptic solution and then go in with forceps and remove any debris and hair, etc, that can be seen. But it can happen where there is something that was forced under a tissue plane that cannot be seen on xray or with looking into the wound. In those cases, sometimes you need to repeat a surgery. Which is what I would do in this case. And it is NOT the fault of the surgeon, just an unfortunate circumstance. I would consider asking the owner of the dog who bit her to pay for it since this is directly related to the original bite... and you can take her to small claims court for this and you would win. But I would do the surgery, and if I were the vet, I would charge appropriately for the surgery because it is not the vet's fault and the vet should not have to do this for free.

I had a knee surgery done, and a year later the screws the doctor put in my knee were sticking out so much that I had to have a second surgery to remove them, even though the doctor originally said the screws would stay in for life. I had to pay full price, just as I would have expected to. It is what it is. It is unlucky, but no one is to blame (except the biting dog!).

There's something in there causing the problem. Let the vet go get it and be done with this long term problem. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The dog that bit my Maggie is no where near us anymore I just have a problem with paying for suturing one time then 7 months later it was super glued and that opened up again I have no problem paying a dr for his time and work but in my opinion this dr should have delved deeper initially then we wouldn't be looking at redoing everything again as this causes extra stress to my dog I feel like the job wasn't done thoroughly the first time. Ur thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is a VERY abnormal case (I have never had anything like this happen) and occasionally you get weird cases that do weird things. Even if the vet left some hair or gravel in the wound, it would typically still heal (we see pets all the time with BB's in them from being shot, and we find it on xray, and it is an incidental finding and never causes a problem). This is likely more of an abnormality with your dog and your dog's body being weird in the way that it heals rather than a problem with the vet. Really. I have nothing to gain by taking the vet's side... on the contrary, I feel like you would be happier with me if I took your side. So that should tell you something... I have more to gain by taking your side, but I still do not feel like anything was likely done wrong by the vet. I suspect this dog has some immune or healing issues, and you may or may not find anything down in that area, but I would agree with the vet that it needs to be explored again to make sure. Good luck! I hope this ends it once and for all. :)

Are you there? I see that you reviewed my response at 10:25pm, but I have not heard back from you. I do not want to move on to the next customer until I hear back from you to make sure that you do not have any further questions. You can signal me that we are done talking by saying "thank you" to indicate that you are satisfied with my response and have no further questions, or you can ask me more questions. I will wait here until I hear back. Thanks! :)

Oh, good, you saw my response. Any questions?

Hi there... just checking in to see if you have spoken again with your vet or had the surgery yet, or if you have questions about my response because I have not heard back from you. I just wanted to make sure that you are not upset with me, because it is rare for people not to reply back to me in this forum. Can you give me an update?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.