Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a small pomeranian and Chihuahua mix dog that seemed

Hello I have a small...
Hello I have a small pomeranian and Chihuahua mix dog that seemed asth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: it seemed like he had hair ball so I went online to look for a remedy and after reading on your website it seems more likely to be kennel caught . he has been coughing a lot for the last couple of days but never caughs anything up. we live in Arizona about 40 miles north of phoenix. the dog moved here from Oregon about six months ago . that might have some bearing on the issue.
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: foxy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about foxy?
Customer: no he is a happy dog ,loves to play, eats and drinks well. he is about 7 years old. His owner, my 92 year old father feeds him way too much people food but his weight is pretty normal.
6/14/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear Foxy may have kennel cough. Unfortunately even if vaccinated for kennel cough, there are many strains and exposure or even the modified live vaccination itself can still result in kennel cough in puppies and adult dogs. Similar to having a flu vaccination but still getting the flu virus in a more mild form. The cough is comparable to something being caught in the throat or a cat with a hairball.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough becomes productive I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition if there is development of lethargy or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I will try what you have suggested and see what happens. Thanks

You are very welcome, hopefully Foxy will feel better soon!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian