Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Been having nose bleed a few days last week and it started…

Customer Question
Been having nose bleed...

Been having nose bleed a few days last week and it started up again today. Have been giving him prescription drugs from the vet which

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Arechorpeniamine 4mg one tablet 2-3 time a day and amoxicillin 500mg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

2tabletstwice a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the's name and age?

Jasper -pitbull and 11yrs.old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is jasper -pitbull?

11years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about jasper -pitbull?

No, he has been healthy otherwise

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned about Jasper's nose bleeds despite medication from his veterinarian, Amoxicillin (antibiotic) and Chlorpheniramine (an antihistamine), and I'd like to help.

Is his gum color a nice bubblegum pink, or are they every pale/white? A nice pink color tells me his bleeding isn't yet a significant amount.

Has his bleeding lessened with the medications prescribed being given?

Is the bleeding from one side or both sides?

Any external swelling on his nose?

What do his teeth look like? Are there signs of dental/gum disease (tartar, broken teeth, foul breath, swollen, red gums)?

I would start with a cold pack on the outside of his nose, over the top of his muzzle, on his affected side(s).

You can also put a couple drops of "little noses" drops or Neo-Synephrine nasal drops that contain ephedrine to stop the bleeding. This isn't a long term solution, and if he starts bleeding again he does need to see his veterinarian again. But it can be used in situations that they won't stop bleeding to give immediate relief.

Possible reasons for these symptoms are bacterial, fungal, tick borne or viral infections, a foreign body in the nose, a polyp or mass in the nose or a tooth root infection. Rarely the cause is a clotting disorder, but I would have expected him to have other symptoms of that including blood in his urine, bruising under the skin, and difficulty breathing due to blood in his chest. Dogs with a clotting disorder also tend to bleed equally from both sides of the nose.

Since he is an older fellow cancer would be possible too.

Sneezing and reverse sneezing are signs of nasal and pharyngeal irritation.

With nasal irritation we can also see a nasal discharge which can be yellow, white, green, mucoid or even bloody in character. In some cases with long term infections or a mass we can even see nasal bone destruction and swelling or changes in nose conformation or around the eye.

Diagnosis of a the problem behind these symptoms can be complicated. We may need to perform radiographs of the nose and sinuses looking for changes in the bones or full sinuses, nasal flushes and scoping to collect culture and biopsy specimens and sometimes blood titers to look for the infection (especially if we are suspicious of a fungal or tick borne infection).

Things that you can do that aren't too expensive include checking a complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a tick panel and a urinalysis. I would also recommend checking his blood pressure.

If those tests come back normal then looking for a tooth root infection, a foreign body or polyp with a nasal scope and radiographs of his tooth roots, nose and sinuses under sedation would be recommended.

If his nose starts bleeding with activity and increasing heart rate and blood pressure then for now try to keep him quiet until we know why his nose is bleeding.

If you have lots of ticks in your area then a course of Doxycycline could be given instead of Amoxicillin as Doxycycline is good for tick borne and respiratory tract infections.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1-bubblegum

Excellent, so the bleeding is relatively minor.

But since it is continuing despite treatment, especially if it seems worse, then some testing should be done to determine the cause.