Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been disgnosed with dry eye - this is also

Customer Question
affecting his nostril on the...
my dog has been disgnosed with dry eye - this is also affecting his nostril on the same side but the anibiotics are not giving him any relief in fact if anything it is worse
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: it is kiro and he is 13
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: kiro
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about kiro?
Customer: yes he is a rescue - we had him when he was nearly 10 and at that time his teeth were pretty bad he had a lot of them out but still had two left - the two canines upper and lower on the right side he had the two remaining ones out earlier this year and ever since then he has not been the same very timid not playinhg with his toys and the eye trouble started
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

the drops he is on are called tacrolimus 0.02%

I'm sorry to hear of this with Kiro. Antibiotics alone aren't going to address dry eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) although they may be useful to manage secondary infections that can arise in a dry eye. The primary cause of dry eye needs to be determined and treated. For example, severe inflammation that suppresses tear formation might be addressed with an ophthalmic glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone acetate or an immune-mediated dry eye might be addressed with an ophthalmic cyclosporin or tacrolimus. The nasal passage on the affected side can suffer as it's missing the tears that drain from the lacrimal apparatus into the passage.

Are you concerned that the combination of an antibiotic and tacrolimus isn't helpful?

are you there?
I thought tacrolimus is an antibiotic?

No, tacrolimus is a lacrimostimulant - promotes tear production. Were you able to see my post timestamped 7:14AM my time?

Oh - we had to have a prescription for it and the vet said it was - the nose is really snuffley and the hole is blocked up most of the time. It is very hard to bath it as he panics when we try and dampen it
what do you reccommend we do?

Until tear production can be increased, Kiro's nose will continue to dry out. Tacrolimus is usually used if no response to cyclosporin is seen after 3-6 weeks of treatment. About half the dogs who don't respond to cyclosporin will respond to tacrolimus. Until these drugs kick in, you'll need to to instill artificial tears into that eye. You can find artifical tears over the counter in your local drug store. They'll need to be administered every 3-4 hours until he can produce his own tears. If neither cyclosporin nor tacrolimus is effective, his vet can prescribe pilocarpine drops which are added to Kiro's food. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

any thoughts on the behavious change since the teeth came out? Could it be connected to the eye and nose?

Yes, but it's important to recognize that at 13 years of age there's rarely just one thing going on. My thorough physical exam of such a patient would involve a senior/geritric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests. His eye and mouth may be painful but I also have to consider degenerative conditions at his age as well as age-related cancers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian