Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We have a litter of Pembroke Welsh Corgis, 5 wks tomorrow,

Customer Question

We have a litter of Pembroke Welsh Corgis, 5 wks tomorrow, and just weaned them over to Rice baby cereal and Puppybac. One of the pups is vomiting about 10 min after eating. It seems to be getting more frequent as we moved them over to Blue Buffalo puppy food. The vomiting is continuing. Every time she is fed. No matter how mushy we make the food she cannot hold it down. She has stomach muscular heaves when she vomits. The vomit is very slimmy and the pup instantly re-eats it. And keeps that down but if she eats more then the same thing happens. Thought it might be Megaesophagus so we held her upright after she ate and still vomited after about 10 min. Taking her to the vet tomorrow but do you have any input?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Welsh will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Welsh?
Customer: No thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You're correct to consider megaesophagus when such frequent regurgitation is seen in such close proximity to eating. Esophageal achalasias (swallowing defects) and congenital myasthenia gravis (a neuromuscular disease) are also important considerations. I would expect her vet to recommend X-rays (+/- barium swallow) initially, and if megaesophagus or an achalasia weren't present, proceed to test for myasthenia by a blood test called the actylcholine receptor antibody test. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.