Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have 2 pigs that we buy at auction in May and have

Customer Question

We have 2 pigs that we buy at auction in May and have slaughtered for our freezer in Sept. One pig seems to have diarrhea. Not bloody, just green puddles and it stains his skin on butt and legs. Can we treat this and how?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds. Just the diarrhea.
JA: What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Pig doesn't have a name and is a finishing pig, I guess about 3 months old.
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: I don't name these pigs, as they are going to slaughter.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about these?
Customer: They live in a dirt floored enclosure, measuring about 16 feet to a side. They have a small loafing shed to get out of the rain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea in pigs for a range of reasons (just as in people). Though if we can exclude toxins/nutritional issues, we'd be most wary of this being triggered by a bacterial, viral, protozoal or parasitic agent.

With this in mind, we can approach this in one of two ways. First, you could collect a stool sample and submit it to the local vet or directly to the local vet lab. This can then be tested for the above concerns to give us an definitive diagnosis which we can then use to target treatment effectively and economically. Otherwise, we can try broad spectrum treatment and supportive care to cover as many bases as possible. For that, to start, do make sure this pig is wormed (Fenbendazole is ideal as it covers worms and some protozoa). As well, as E.coli is a common cause of green diarrhea, we can also start a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Penicillin) from the local farm supply.

Furthermore, consider increasing the pig's dietary fiber by offering cooked squash, canned pumpkin, or more veggies generally. The fiber in these will slow diarrhea, absorb fluid, and help try to normalize feces. You can also treat with OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 12 hours) to slow the diarrhea. If you are concerned about dehydration, you can also administer electrolytes or Pedialyte (2 ounces per 25 lbs of body weight every 4 hours). If we use these and can get this wee one settled, we are happy. Though if we find the diarrhea lingers over 48 hours despite the above; then we'd want to test a stool sample for those other concerns to ensure we nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**