Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 9-yr old male boxer mix has been taking Proin to treat

Customer Question

Hi! My 9-yr old male boxer mix has been taking Proin to treat incontinence. It seemed to be working pretty well until yesterday. He has been taking Proin for about a week. there had been a very strong odor to his urine but blood work did not indicate any infection. During a kennel stay a few days ago the on-duty vet noticed the smell and asked if she could start him on clavamox. I gave consent. I broght him home yesterday and he seems to have taken a turn in the opposite direction and is urinating frequently and uncontrollably. I just wonder if that's typical?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buzz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buzz?
Customer: He suffers from lumbo-sacral stenosis and hip dysplasia but is not taking anything yet...first priority is getting the incontinence under control.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buzz. Please clarify how infection was ruled out. That can't be done with blood work. A urinalysis may find bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells which indicate infection but may also be falsely negative if the urine is too dilute to find those things. In that case, a bacterial culture of the urine needs to be performed. Bacterial infection is a common complication of urinary incontinence and in intact males the infection most always involves the prostate gland. Please let me know if Buzz is neutered or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They did do urinalysis as well as blood work but am not sure about a culture. He is neutered.

Thank you for the additional information. Because Buzz continues to be stranguric (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) a bacterial UTI unresponsive to Clavamox needs to be considered as do urinary calculi (stones) and a transitional cell carcinoma of his bladder/urethra if only because of his breed. Please ask his vet if Buzz's urine were dilute and, if so, ask for a bacterial culture and sensitivity to be performed. That can be done even if Buzz is still being administered the Clavamox. If it weren't dilute and a urinlaysis truly was "quiet" (no evidence of infection), the next step is ultrasounding Buzz's urinary tract looking for stones and that cancer. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you! I will call the vet first thing in the morning.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do...

I appreciate it.