Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

6 day old calf, cloudy eye with discharge, calf lethargic,

Customer Question

6 day old calf, cloudy eye with green discharge, calf lethargic, mother not feeding
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has it had these signs?

Does mum not stand for the calf? Or is he having issues suckling?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing with his eye? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

update, i believe that the calf is sight impaired, right eye is foggy, left eye is clear, both have ocular discharge. the cow presents herself for nursing, but calf cannot figure it out. mom's bag is huge, udder has teats the size of redbull cans. the mom is a semi-feral red saler, dad is saler x simital.

mother is half ton, calf is 80#. calf is receiving cephalexin BID, and supplemented with calf formula BID. calf eagerly uptakes 1.75 pints per feeding per day

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Now if we have green eye discharge then right off the bat we know we have a bacterial conjunctivitis here. Furthermore, if one eye is foggy that is likely corneal edema as part of the immune response or as a reaction to trauma to that eye. In regards ***** ***** to address this, we often manage these cases with saline flushing of the eye and administration of topical ophthalmic antibiotics. (ie gentamicin, combination oxytetracycline/polymyxin B ointment,etc). This is usually applied three times daily. If topical treatment is not possible, then we usually will consider using injectable antibiotics like oxytetracycline (instead of cephalexin) since it has good penetration into the corneal tissues. And as we do this, we may need to guide the calf to nursing or keep bottle feeding mum's milk if we can. If those aren't options then we do need to supplement with calf formula until we can clear this and work to get her back onto mum as we reduce that inflammation.

Overall, based on your description this sounds like a bacterial infection with corneal inflammation. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach with saline and using topical antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**