Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Second opinion] My 35 lb 5 year old female pit mix ate 100

Customer Question
mg of phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride that...
Second opinion] My 35 lb 5 year old female pit mix ate 100 mg of phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride that was a visiting dog's prescription. She vomited twice yesterday and then seemed fine and all and evening. Today she is stiff, doesn't want to move, and had to be coaxed to eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sinka
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sinka?
Customer: She's otherwise very healthy and active. We live at the beach and she goes for walks multiple times a day
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your question.

The dose your dog ate is about three times the normal dose for her size. However, the toxic dose does not set in until higher. The signs your dog is showing are typical of a dose that is too high -- restlessness, loss of appetite, weakness. Be sure to check her gums and see what color they are. Over dosage can bring about symptoms of high blood pressure, increased heart rate, seizures, or coma. Since the medication was eaten yesterday, we cannot induce any more vomiting. At this stage, the symptoms are monitored and treatment is given if needed. The treatment would consist of IV fluids and medication to control any seizures or heart rate changes or blood pressure changes.

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian