Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 35 lb 5 year old female pit mix ate 100 mg of

Customer Question
phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride that was a...
My 35 lb 5 year old female pit mix ate 100 mg of phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride that was a visiting dog's prescription. She vomited twice yesterday and then seemed fine and all and evening. Today she is stiff, doesn't want to move, and had to be coaxed to eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sinka
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sinka?
Customer: She's otherwise very healthy and active. We live at the beach and she goes for walks multiple times a day
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Any chance of any non-related injuries or over activity?

Anything else she could have gotten into?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

She ate it yesterday around 5pm and then vomited twice. She seemed very normal and active afterwards. She even went for a walk.No injuries I can think of, she wasn't overly active yesterday, just walks.She also ate one meal of another dog's food who was at our house.Her gums are pink.Her whole body seems tense, including her belly
Her gums are slightly moist and slightly sticky

Hello again,

Now while it was a 6x overdose Sinka gave herself here, we'd really not be expected signs at this stage. And if anything, this just tends to cause GI upset, restlessness, heart rhythm changes and short term behaviour changes. So, we cannot assume the phenylpropanolamine is our culprit at this point. Though if her belly is stiff as well its possible that she isn't keen to move or eat because of residual nausea.

Therefore, with that in mind, we can counter that with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can tempt with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or if she cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet to her daily feeds. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. As well, if her gums are a bit sticky (a dehydration sign) we can encourage her to drink by flavouring her water with low salt broth or even lactose free milk.

And if she settles with that, then we can keep that up for a few days. Though if she remains stiff and reluctant to move, we'd have to assume discomfort elsewhere in the body. In that case since we dont' have any appropriate OTC pain relief options for her that would be a sign that we need her seen so that a gut safe option can be started for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please use the **STARS** to rate me as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you! This is included in your question fee. : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian