Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Friend got a free Yorkie pup, 15 wks old. This was Friday.

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the pup?
Customer: Shots current, had fecal exam and had diarrhea. Now he won't eat and drinkslittle water. He's 2.5 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about He 's?
Customer: That's all we know in two days. OH. He's also become listless.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Does he have diarrhea now? If so, what does it look like?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Poop is watery. Trying to throw up but nothing in his belly.
Couldn't have eaten anything bad.
I'll have to check on belly and gums.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

If you can check those that would be grand just so we can make sure they are normal.

Speak to you again shortly,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His gums are white and wet.
His belly is tensing when touched.
I'll also add it's a new house with 4 children from 8-16 yrs old. May be traumatic. I know it certainly would be for me!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh no,

That is not good news here at all. If he has white gums, we have an emergency on our hands and he needs to be seen now. This is because to see that and belly pain suggests trauma and an internal bleed. Otherwise, we can see paling of the gums with lung disease, heart issues and anemia; but not usually with a tense belly as well.

So, we need him seen right away because it sounds like he has been injured or has eaten something harmful. And the diarrhea is a lesser concern for the moment. Just to note, any delay and you can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us. But again those white gums are terrible news and suggest a serious bleed may be present.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **STARS** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'd like you to call me. I don't have a cell. My home number(###) ###-####
I understand there's the fee for this and I accept that.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

My apologies, but I cannot offer the live phone call option at this time. Therefore, please let me know if you want to discuss your wee one further via the Q+A feature as we have or if you wish for me to opt out to see if a fellow colleague can offer this service to you.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's the situation. The only emergency vet clinic in town is bad. Reviews rating it from 1-5 have a 95% a rating of one. Lots of complaints and $300 to walk in the door.Can he possibly wait until morning?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Honestly, I wouldn't wait since severe anemia or ongoing internal bleeding can become dire quickly and we could lose this pup. So, if that local ER vet is bad news, then check those links I posted above and make a trek to a further afield one so we can help this wee one and not risk losing him already.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide high quality advice to you as I would for my own clients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close and you can still ask follow-up questions.**

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Took pup to emergency vet. He has Parvo. He's beginning treatment.
$750 so far for 3 days of treatment and boarding.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Poor wee lad, though I am surprised that his gums were so pale with that. Still we'd hope that if we have gotten to this early that he has a chance and will overcome this terrible virus.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask –

I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing

me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He died Sunday. I appreciate you telling us to take him to emergency care. He died there instead of with the 4 children.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

The poor love, I am so sorry to hear that he has passed. He was so unlucky to have contracted that horrible virus but at least the children didn't have the trauma of seeing he do so. Just one wee note, if you do consider getting another pup, make sure that the house is thorough cleaned (10% bleach for surfaces and warm wash for all soft furnishings) since Parvo can linger in the environment for months and we just don't want any risk of another pup coming in and catching that too.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you,

Dr. B.