Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is 90 pounds and 2 hours ago at a cleaner with sulfate

Customer Question
She is 90 pounds and...
She is 90 pounds and 2 hours ago at a cleaner with cooper sulfate and trisodium phosphate she has vomited everything out of her stomach
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 90 pound Mastiff less than 1 year old right now she seem perfectly fine
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the mastiff eat anything unusual?
Customer: yes cleaning granules that contained copper sultfate and trisodium phosphate
JA: What is the mastiff's name?
Customer: Lola
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?
Customer: No I am just concerned that she will get sick late on she seems perfectly fine now but I don't want it to cause problems later
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much did she have?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink,yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea?

she has not drank since I came home, her gum are pink her stomach seems soft she is not bloated no pain no discomfort no diarrhea
she is actually acting quiet normal my guess is her stomach is empty it looks like she threw up her breakfast

Thank you,

And if you are there with her, any blisters or sores in her mouth?

No
o her mouth looks perfectly normal

Good, I am glad she doesn't have any changes there, though we need to monitor for those over the next 24 hours as trisodium phosphate causes burns/damage to the mouth, throat and stomach when ingested. Though the even bigger concern is the copper in this as that can cause vomiting and appetite loss but also bleeding gut ulcers and liver damage (usually seen as yellowing of the skin/eyes/gums).

With the potential risk of these cleaners, we need to tread with care. Ideally at this point, we'd want to try to bind any of this in her stomach by administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

After, we can give lactose free milk to coat her stomach and plan to monitor closely. As well do, we would want to offset that risk of further vomiting with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. After we can give a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Of course, any yellowing or paling of her gums, belly pain, or the above signs and we'd need her seen urgently for IV fluids and symptomatic care to protect her GI and liver from harm.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **STARS** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

if I give her activated charcoal for the next 24 hours at 8 hour intervals - should I feed her anything over the next 24 hours

Hi again,

Yes, and you can feed her one of those light diet options I noted in between times without issue (its just drugs/chemicals the charcoal binds). And you can even mix the activated charcoal into her food if she will take it that way.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

One more question 1-4 per pound then I need at least 180grams do I just give this to her one time?

Hi again,

The minimum dose we can give to bind toxins for her size would be 90 grams (it will be quite a bit, especially if you can only find those low dose gas capsules, but we can open a much to add to food that is fine) and again we'd usually repeat it but you choose to give it once and see how she goes.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

okay how do I get in touch with you if I need to ask you another question

Hi again

If you need me further about this issue, you need only reply here. The question won't close after you have left feedback and tends to stay open for at least a week.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

**Please use the **STARS** to rate me as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you! This is included in your question fee. : )

I amiss at a pharmacy now they said they only have the one for gas it's 520 mg of activated charcoal.

Hi again,

If that is the best they have (you could also ring a local ER vet to see if they will dispense some for you), then we'd need to open 180 of these capsules to add to food for Lola.

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian