Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog at 1 Aleve I dropped on the ground. What do I do? He ate

Customer Question

Dog at 1 Aleve I dropped on the ground. What do I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He ate 1 Aleve
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack and he is 12 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about jack?
Customer: he is old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How much does Jack weigh, please? Naproxen (Aleve) ingestion is a very serious one as just 2.5 mg per pound of body weight can cause ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract and 7 mg can cause renal failure.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
80#
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What should we do?

220 mg Aleve/80 lbs = 2.75 mg/lb and so Jack is at risk of GI ulceration. Induce emesis with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok he vomited, what next?

He should do nicely. Dosing with an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at 20 mg and repeated at 12 hour intervals for 3 days should afford Jack comfort. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You are the man, probably saved my dogs life, dog eats anything, dropped 1pill and away he went. Will be more careful next time. Thanks again.��

It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?