Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Golden won't put his head down to sleep and resists me

Customer Question
petting his head. JA: I'm sorry...
My Golden won't put his head down to sleep and resists me petting his head.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kramer age 12 1/2 He also has had a small amount of blood coming from his nose when he sneezes
JA: How old is Kramer?
Customer: 12 1/2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kramer?
Customer: he has a hard time with his hind legs getting up and down. I have him on joint supplement
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Katherine Schmidt,
 replied 5 months ago
Katherine Schmidt
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you some advice regarding your dog. Sometimes when a dog is reluctant to let you pet their head or not wanting to move it a certain way or lay it a certain way, it can mean pain in the head or neck. I can't pinpoint it any further without a proper physical exam, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. With the bloody nose, there could be a few things going on. It could be something going on in the nose such as infection, inflammation, a mass, or a foreign object. It could be something going on in the mouth that's penetration to the sinuses like a stick stuck in the teeth or roof of the mouth, dental disease, or a mass. Lastly some dogs will get a bloody nose because they have low clotting factors and they are prone to bleeding, but usually these dogs aren't showing signs of pain, so I would put that on the bottom of the list. I would recommend taking him to the vet for a thorough physical, then the vet can decide if any diagnostics are needed. In the meanwhile for pain you can give 2 baby aspirins (81 mg) every 12 hours as needed for pain. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!
Katherine Schmidt
Katherine Schmidt
Katherine Schmidt