Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 9 year old neutered male has a bite or something on the

Customer Question

My 9 year old neutered male has a bite or something on the inside of his right, rear leg...he has licked all the fur off in a large area from inside the bend in his leg. He isn't feeling well at all! Is there anything I can do for him to postpone a vet visit until tomorrow? My vet isn't open on Sundays & I can't afford to take him to an ER vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: OK. Welcome! How can I help with your dog?
Customer: South Austin, TX. I can't afford to take him to an ER.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Murray
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murray?
Customer: he has epileptic seizures & is on Zonisamide for them & thyroxine for low thyroid He also takes a valium in the evenings to keep him calm
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Murray.

I do have a few suggestions which should help you avoid an ER visit. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Since my replies tend to be on the lengthy side, I'll thank you in advance for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

1. I'd gently clean the area twice a day with dilute, over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).
Any products which contain Chlorohexiderm such as Hebiclens would also be acceptable. These products are readily found at local pharmacies or box stores which carry medical supplies.

2. I'd then apply a small amount of over the counter cortisone ointment which can help to reduce inflammation and soothe the skin.

3. If the area also looks really oozy or pusy, then I'd also apply a small amount of antibacterial ointment or cream such as you'd use on a wound for yourself.

4. A perfect product just about any sort of skin issue would be Vetericyn spray which may be available at local pet or grain stores since this is a product formulated for use on cats and dogs. I know it can be purchased online but this won't help you now.

5. If he's not currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid drugs (which is doesn't sound as if he is), then he could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. The anti-inflammatory as well as anti-pain properties may be of benefit.

My only hesitation about is use is that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe (if he has to be seen) but several doses should be fine.

6. He may need to wear a cone to prevent further access and damage to the area although I'm certain that he won't thank me for suggesting it.

The above treatment should get you through the weekend until you can have him seen by your regular vet tomorrow. I hope this helps, Deb