Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 20 pound Chihuahua mix may have possibly ingested a 200

Customer Question
mg advil tablet JA: I'm sorry...
my 20 pound Chihuahua mix may have possibly ingested a 200 mg advil tablet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: whitey and he is 3. he is a rescue dog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about whitey?
Customer: he is now sleeping
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago do you think this happened?

10 minutes ago he is now awake
what should I do

Good, I am glad this only just happened as we need to act fast.

Now Advil is a risky drug with our dogs and as this would be a 22mg/kg dose for a dog his size, we need to be very careful here. Especially as it would cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss), but could also cause a bleeding stomach ulcer. And while its lower then our usual kidney damaging doses it is quite a large one.

If its likely he had it, then induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, to protect his stomach and counter any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall this is very serious for Whitey. So, the above needs to be done now if you think he had this. Else he needs to be seen urgently so the local vet can +/- start fluids to flush this out and keep him from harm. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide high quality advice to you as I would for my own clients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close and you can still ask follow-up questions.**

any other things to watch for

Hi again,

The main ones are the vomiting, diarrhea and appetite loss; but for those other side effects we'd watch for increased thirst/urination, belly pain, paling gums and bloody or black stools but if you act fast as I noted above we'd hope to avoid all that for him.

Best wishes

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian