Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Diareaha for 3 days doesn't seem sick. Playful. 5 1/2 mo

diareaha for 3 days doesn't seem sick. Playful.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 5 1/2 mo cockapoo.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes. He cocker/poodle
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cocker?
Customer: He eats and or licks everything. We live in an apartment complex which just had mulch laid. It is colored mulch, vegetable oil and manure. I have been assured it is safe for pets. Also a weed deterrent was placed. my puppy is playful now but was very lethargic the first day. Drinks water and very little food. Everything goes right through him. How dangerous is this
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cocker. What is the cocker's name?
Customer: Curious George
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does his diarrhea look like?

When was he last wormed?

Has he had any drooling, gagging, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Has a jelly like substance mixed through it. Very wet with some form to it.he has had all of his shots and saw the vet Apr 18th. Neutered at Low Cost Spay and Neuter June 1. No drooling, gagging, or vomit. Gums are pink moist. No pain. He likes to eat the mulch.

Hello again,

First, if George really likes that mulch you need to keep a close eye on him. This is because even if its not toxic, it still can cause gut blockage and that could cause diarrhea if that is all that can pass through the gut. Of course, his signs also fit with a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, dietary indiscretion, or a reaction to the weed killer.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, if he is very runny, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, George's signs do raise some concerns here and with how curious he is about mulch a possible blockage is a worry. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with fluids, antibiotics, +/- an enema if he has some mulch caught to help get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )