Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 6 month old puppy who we brought up to the cottage

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 6 month...
I have a 6 month old puppy who we brought up to the cottage this weekend. We were extremely cautious about checking him to make sure there were no ticks or anything.He's been running around a lot more than normal this weekend and loving this cottage, but this morning we noticed a strange red mark on him.I'm just a bit worried about what it could be or what the next steps would be.I'm also wondering if it could just be chafing given the ***** *****nes up with his testicles.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello again,

Oh Lenny!

It looks like a tick (or black fly) has managed to get a taste of wee Lenny.

Since the tick isn't at the scene of the crime, we'd be less worried here about tick mouth parts being stuck in the skin, but of course we do need to keep an eye on this for any local infection and on him generally since ticks can carry some bacterial agents. Though as we monitor, we can try some supportive care for this. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce the inflammation and any itchiness. As long as it settles and he remains well, we are happy. Though any swelling at that site or if he were to become lethargic/feverish or have appetite loss then we'd want a check up just to make sure we have no infections from the tick or blackfly that has had a nip of him here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Could it be a tick bite though if there's no hole where they would have bit him
I'm just super confused how it would have have bitten him or gotten into him when we were checking him almost hourly.Would that have been enough time to completely burrow?He doesn't seem phased by it at all if I touch it.

Hi again,

Often the holes are very small and tend to close even as the target lesion remains. (If we did have a visible puncture we'd be more worried about snakes). And if there are blackflies locally those don't stick around for long. Otherwise, ticks usually are caught by owners since they stay longer but if you have him on any treatments its possible for a tick to have a sip and decide to leave the host. So, the ring of inflammation tells us one of the two have been here and there has been a bite.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian