Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has heartwarm instead of doing the normal proceed

Customer Question

Good Morning
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: my dog has heartwarm instead of doing the normal proceed that can harm or kill the dog . My vet suggest putting her on antibiotic for 30 days and use heartguard .... I was using a different brand of heartworm before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: After six months she still had it ... we did another round and wait six months to test again . This time we killed the warms but she said dead worms were still present . She put her on 2 months of antibiotic and told be to give her the heartguard every 15 days for six months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: my dog is 14 lbs and a mix of King Charles, popeon. I have 3 more months before we test again is this the right thing to do. She is a very energetic and this hasn't effect her quality of life
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, no, this isn't the right thing to do. This protocol is no longer recommended because even if it did work, considerable damage will have occurred in her cardiovascular system and lungfields. Please review the latest guidelines for heartworm treatment here: https://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/american-heartworm-society-guidelines

Click on the far left "Prevention, Diagnosis, and Management of Heartworm Infection in Dogs..." box. If you only want to read how dogs are treated, scroll down to "Adulticide Therapy". Also note what is said under Alternative Therapies: "Long-term Macrocyclic Lactone Administration. Slow-kill methods using continuous monthly administration of prophylactic doses of any ML are NOT RECOMMENDED".

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I never heard of test coming back meg but the dead worms are present
It's been 3 mos and she will not do another test for another 3 mos
Should I go to another vet for testing

I'm not sure which test was performed. The heartworm antigen test can be falsely negative with low female worm burdens or immature infections. Looking for microfilaria (larval heartworms) by filter and modifed Knott's tests should be considered at this time. If negative, the current therapy may have been successful. Your current vet can perform a Knott's test; if you prefer, another vet can do so as well. Please continue our conversation if you wish.