Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 yr old dogs eye is cloudy all a sudden, CASH, he is 9

Customer Question

My 9 yr old dogs eye is cloudy all a sudden
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: CASH
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about CASH?
Customer: he is 9
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has his eye been like this?

Any chance of trauma?

An discharge?

Is he rubbing it or squinting?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its says file too large
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

You can reduce photo/file size by shrinking the photo in paint (on all computers) or post to any other site and paste the link here for me to follow.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All a sudden i noticed it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is 9 yrs chi weenie
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Just as the photo is a wee bit blurry (I know how wiggly a model dogs can be), is that clouding deep in the eye (as it appears in the photo) or on the corneal cover of the eye?

Does he only have this in one eye?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No discharge no rubbing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Does he only have this in one eye?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only one eye
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Another pic
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In like a disc.like appearance from side view behind roundness or lining of eye
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

Now my concern here is that your photos aren't clear enough for me to tell if this is on the cornea or involving the lens. Especially as the photo gives the impression of the a tail towards the bottom of the eye and could be a light artefact. This is why I need to know how deep this looks. If it looks deep inside the eye, then this severe haze is likely a change to the lens (ie a cataract from trauma, infection of the eye or diabetes).But if it is more superficial then we have a dramatic corneal edema/inflammation likely with an ulcer. For the latter, you can flush the eye 2-3 times daily with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution to try to soothe this until his vet is open (as we need corneal damage seen to urgently for antibiotic +/- corneal repair drops). Though if it is deeper as your last description suggests then those won't benefit from topical home care and we'd just need this checked for those above since infection within the eye tends to need intensive treatment to clear.

Overall, the position of the eye changes in these photos makes it tricky for me to tell in 2-D which we have. But these would be our main concerns here and how we'd need to approach them for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide high quality advice to you as I would for my own clients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close and you can still ask follow-up questions.**

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It contracts in the sun
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he squints
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am getn betr pic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

We'd still expect pupil function with both of these and squinting/photophobia is quite common with both. So, it doesn't let us narrow this down, it just depends if this looks deep or on the eye cover. And do try to get another shot, perhaps in the sun and from an angle to see if I can get a better idea of the location.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Grand. :)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should i call an oncall vet in
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

If you think it looks to be on the cornea, has a deep depression or that area doesn't look shiny like the rest of eye; then severe corneal damage is suspect and we'd be best to have him seen urgently. Or if he has a red eye that looks bigger then the other that is a sign of glaucoma and that would be an emergency as well. If that isn't what you are seeing then we can monitor until his regular vet is open.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Best pic i can get
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No redness in eye
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Ah hah! Lovely.

That one lets me see that we have a nice normal cornea and that the haze is in the lens. So, we do have a cataract here and those above triggers for that would be our overall concerns. So, as long as we haven't any redness or enlargement of the eyeball, we can monitor until Cash's vet is open to look into those concerns for this cataract. And if they can address the underlying cause, cataracts can be removed for our dogs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.