Dog Veterinary

My dog ate 1/4 pound of chocolate covered expresso beans. We…

Customer Question
My dog ate 1/4...

My dog ate 1/4 pound of chocolate covered expresso beans. We gave 2 doses of hydrogen peroxide and she still wont throw up, what do i do???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
... Read full answer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey and 4 years old , 14 lb jack russel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about russel?

I dont think so, im very scared. Shes not acting weird but k keep readimg about how toxic the coffee is for dogs and im worried

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Bailey ingested 1/4 pound of chocolate covered espresso beans and has not vomited despite giving her peroxide.

Since she hasn't vomited I would get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting and have them give activated charcoal to absorb the toxin. Caffeine in dogs is highly toxic to the heart.

And the other issue is chocolate toxicity on top of that, as chocolate is another stimulant.

If she vomits all of the beans in the car on the way you can try observation at home. Once she clears her stomach to try and settle her stomach tonight after she vomits you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.

Caffeine toxicity causes mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, a very fast heart rate, high blood pressure, an irregular heart rhythm, tremors, an elevated body temperature, seizures, and collapse.

Treatment includes fluids to flush out the toxin, sedatives, heart medications to reduce the heart rate and blood pressure, anti-convulsants for seizures, antacids (such as Pepcid) for stomach discomfort and diarrhea. Caffeine may be reabsorbed across the bladder wall so a urinary catheter or getting them out to urinate frequently are needed to keep the bladder empty.

Even if she seems to vomit it all I would push fluids and get her outside to urinate often over the next 48 hours to reduce reabsorption.

A lethal dose of caffeine is considered to be around 70 mg per pound of body weight. Instant coffee (usually the least concentrated in caffeine) contains over 60 mg caffeine per teaspoon. The trouble is different types of coffee have varying amounts of caffeine, so we say no coffee is safe. Espresso beans in general tend to have the most caffeine.
But toxic effects are normally seen at 10% of a lethal dose (7mg per pound of body weight). So if she is 14 pounds I would consider 98mgs of caffeine a toxic amount.

Of course you need to worry about the chocolate too.

Given her small size and that she hasn't vomited an emergency clinic visit is needed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

In short

you should not try to manage this at home, this is a dangerous toxicity.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My 15 lb schnauzer ate an uncertain amount of chocolate
My 15 lb schnauzer ate an uncertain amount of chocolate covered expresso beans ( maybe 20 beans?) … read more
DocPaul
DocPaul
Maybe 1/4 pound of dark chocolate covered expressions beans
Hey swallowed maybe 1/4 pound of dark chocolate covered expressions beans at most two hours ago. He's a 50 pound lab mix and I've already attempted to give him two tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide,… read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
She ate choc covered coffee beans, Pepper 4 year old
Pepper 4 year old Standard poodle 53 pounds ate 4 ounces of Choch covered beans I have given her bread, and peroxide … read more
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My 108 lb Bernese Mountain Dog ate about 1.5 tablespoons of
My 108 lb Bernese Mountain Dog ate about 1.5 tablespoons of chocolate covered coffee beans. Should I make him vomit? … read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
she ate about 25 chocolate covered coffee beans. She weights
she ate about 25 chocolate covered coffee beans. She weights 55 lbs … read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
My 14 lb Dachsund ate a large piece ( about 3-4 inches wide
My 14 lb Dachsund ate a large piece ( about 3-4 inches wide and 3-4 inches across. Is this something I need to get her to the vet for? I am out of work right now , so if I can avoid the vet I would li… read more
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
DVM owner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 13 lb doxie that ate a package of chocolate pudding
I have a 13 lb doxie that ate a package of chocolate pudding mix. I'm not sure when. I haven't been home for 7 hours. I just gave him .5ml of peroxide. Will he be ok? … read more
Veterinarian,
My 12 lb dog ate 1.5 g of 55% dark chocolate with crushed
Customer: my 12 lb dog ate 1.5 g of 55% dark chocolate with crushed coffee beans … read more
Dog Veterinarian,
Hello! my 15 lb westie just ate about 5-10 chocolate covered
Hello! my 15 lb westie just ate about 5-10 chocolate covered peanuts (russell stover brand). what should i do? we tried giving her hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up but shes not doing anything. a… read more
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Veterinarian,
my 14 1/2 lb 9 mo old Russell Terrier ate about 6 oz of milk
my 14 1/2 lb 9 mo old Russell Terrier ate about 6 oz of milk chocolate. Is 11:30 at night. What should I do?… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Veterinarian,
our 25 lb cockapoo ate a 7 oz bag of chocolate covered expresso
our 25 lb cockapoo ate a 7 oz bag of chocolate covered expresso beans. He has vomited about 6 times and the chocolate and beans are coming out. He is acting a bit hyped up but otherwise seems fine so … read more
Dog Veterinarian,
My 70 pound lab ate a half pound of dark chocolate coated coffee
My 70 pound lab ate a half pound of dark chocolate coated coffee beans. I got home at 10 PM, probably 2-3 hours after he ate them. I gave him a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture and he threw up what… read more
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
I have two 45lb springer spaniels...I came home to find that
I have two 45lb springer spaniels...I came home to find that they had gotten into a bag of candy that i had stashed away for stockings. In it included some sugary snacks (like twizzlers), milk chocola… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
Australian shepherd: 50 lb..ate a 1 lb box of Sees..panting
My 50 lb Australian shepherd ate a 1 lb box of Sees dark chocolates 1 hour ago while we were out. She is not panting and does not seem to have a high heart rate. What should we do?… read more
Veterinarian,
dog: 4units of insulin he just ate to large egg mms
my dog is diabetic with 438 reading and is on 4units of insulin he just ate to large egg mm's… read more
DVM Dave
DVM Dave
veterinarian,
bedlington terrier: Hi My 23 pound..dried..induce vomitting
Hi My 23 pound bedlington terrier just consumed between a quarter and a half of a ziplock bag of dark chocolate expresso beans, almonds and dried cranberries. She is not showing signs of restlessness … read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
My dog , a 17 lb Jack Russel Terrier, ate 1 piece of Dove dark
My dog , a 17 lb Jack Russel Terrier, ate 1 piece of Dove dark chocolate and about 10 white chocolate espresso beans. should i induce vomiting?… read more
FamilyPetDoctor
FamilyPetDoctor
Veterinarian,
My dog ate chocolate covered espresso beans. What should I do?
My dog ate 15 chocolate covered espresso beans. Should I take him to emergency? He is hyper, but no other signs of anything.… read more
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Senior Small Animal Veterinarian,
BVSc