Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My rat terrier just swallowed a 300 mg of clidamycin i was

Customer Question
attempting to give it to...
My rat terrier just swallowed a 300 mg of clidamycin i was attempting to give it to my pit who currently has a ear infection
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Andrew,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The chances are that Bella will be just fine, you see Clindamycin like almost all antibiotics has a very high margin of safety in the dog even at this type of larger dose. So the chances are that this will not affect Bella in any great way, a few dogs may perhaps have a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, but that's about it.

2. There are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bella's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian