Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate chocolate covered raisins. not sure how many.

My dog ate chocolate...

My dog ate chocolate covered raisins. not sure how many. what should we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Trinket. Age 6. Cockapoo. My daughter pulled one out of her mouth and wasn't sure if she had eaten any. My husband said the bowl didn't look like more were missing, but not sure if she ate a few??

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trinket?

She has a sensitive stomach. Is on steroids for IBD

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Can you give me an idea of how many raisins per chocolate?

3- Type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)/

4- How long has it been since she ate it?

5- How many ounces per chocolate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She weighs 20 pounds. 1 raisin per chocolate. Milk chocolate. About 30 minutes ago. Not sure how many ounces per chocolate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would prefer to just type. My vet said call poison control and they cost $60

Chat is fine.

1- Do you have the box that you can look for grams or ounces?

2- Can you give me an idea of how many pieces she ate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my husband had the chocolate raisins in a bowl and left it on a coffee table. We were outside and my daughter pulled one out of her mouth and told us when we came in. My husband said the bowl looked the same as when he left it so she may not have eaten any (other than what my daughter pulled out) or she may have eaten a couple.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no per raisin breakdown on the jar, so no idea how many ounces or grams of chocolate. But aren't the raisins really the scary thing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I try to make her vomit? How do you do that?

I am trying to avoid the use of hydrogen peroxide because she is on steroid. But, in order for me to calculate a toxic dose of both the raisins and chocolate I would need to know about how much she ate.

Both, chocolate and raisins are toxic to dogs.

Are you there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm here. I don't know what to do. I have no idea, my husband said she can't have eaten too many.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me check. Hold on.

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay.

Friend, chocolate and raisin toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. It depends on the amount consumed, weight of the patient, type of chocolate, etc. the fact that we don't know how much she ate I will not be able to calculate the toxic dose, I am sorry. Raisin toxicity is also dependent on the amount consumed and weight of the dog. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress life-threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it dangerous to use this treatment in combo with her steroid??

Hydrogen peroxide works by causing mild irritation to the gastric mucosa and this is why the dog vomits. If she is on steroids the peroxide can cause ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract so giving her peroxide can cause ulceration. But, if she ingested raisins this can cause renal failure. And, the chocolate can cause life-threatening arrhythmias or seizures. So, in the absence of not knowing how much she ate I would try to make her vomit to be on the safe side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dose #1, no vomit. I'll try again in a few minutes.

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
threw up 4 times. First just bile and then what looked like dinner from hours ago. Nothing that looked like a raisin or chocolate. I think we are in the clear. Do you?

1- Did she the chocolate and raisins before or after dinner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Long after. Dinner was at 5 and the raisin adventure was at 10.

So, if you do not see any in the vomit likely she did not consume any, she will be fine.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Dr. Peter. I feel like I can sleep now!

You're welcome. :)