Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ingested gardening moisture crystals 99% cross-linked…

Customer Question
My dog ingested gardening...

My dog ingested gardening moisture crystals 99% cross-linked polyacrylamide) and organic herb and vegetable food (total nitrogen 3% available potash 4% soluble potash 4% calcium 5% magnesium 1% sulfur 2%

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Tibby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tibby?

She Seems OK, ingestion was about an hour ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much did he have of each?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Hello again,

I have not heard back from your about Tibby. Though as this may be a risky situation depending on how much she had I wanted to touch base in case you were struggling to reply.

The crystals are usually non-toxic but can swell once in contact with GI fluids leading to a possible gut blockage. As well, if we also have fertilizer ingested then this can also cause physical blockage and/or liver damage in large doses but otherwise usually causes GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) in smaller ones.

With this in mind if you read this and its been under 2 hours by then, we can induce vomiting to get as much of this up and out of the stomach as possible. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to get it all moving the other way if we need to. To start, we will want to feed her small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this fertilizer through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own. Also if we were to see increased thirst and yellow gums that can be a sign of liver damage, so we need to watch for that as well.

Overall, the dilemma here is multi-factorial. So, the best thing to do is to induce vomiting right now. Any issues and the ER vet can do that for you. Else we need to help move this material the other way to get it passed without causing a blockage. Of course, any of those red flag signs I noted and we' d need Tibby seen urgently.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by using the **STARS.** This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time. This is included in your question fee. Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed if you think of something else to ask or need for further information after talking to your vet.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian