Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

2 year old chihuahua has weak back legs, no sign of broken

Customer Question
bones, tick bites. was very...
2 year old chihuahua has weak back legs, no sign of broken bones, tick bites. was very active, ran, jumped in the yard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound, nothing in the toes
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: lulu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lulu?
Customer: weve been icing the thigh area, gave her half a baby aspirin these last 2 nights to help. she eats, pees, poop is normal.. shenjust has a hard time getting up
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Is she dragging her back legs or trying to walk on the top of her paws?

If you feel up and down the legs, any swellings, tender spots, or bony crunching?

Any soreness when you press on her back and hips?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint? Any joint swellings or puffiness?

about a week
no fall, no trauma
hard time getting up, jumping to couch
no swelling, no crunching
she yelps at certain spots-- thighs
this dog is a sprinter and jumper in the yard, very active inside and outside. she's is an indoor dog. only goes out to the garden with us

Hello again,

Now I must say that I am concerned to hear that Lulu has had these signs for about a week despite your supportive care. This is because while its good that obvious fractures aren't a worry, benign issues like muscle strain is also less likely. Therefore, we'd have to be wary of hairline ones involving the pelvis, spinal issues (ie disc disease, spinal inflammation, an abscess/clot putting pressure on the spine), nerve inflammation, possible tendon damage and while you didn't note any ticks I do have to warn that I have been seeing a lot of Lymes disease presenting this way this past month. So, we need to be careful at this stage.

With these on mind, I do just want to note that if you are using Aspirin make sure she is getting a dose of 5mg per pound of her weight every 12 hours after food. As well, instead, of icing a week on we'd want to be warm compressing not icing any sore areas. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness and help reduce any deep swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

As you do this, we of course need to be restricting her activity if you aren't already. So, no jumping on/off furniture, using stairs or doing anything that would exacerbate this. As well for outings, we'd want to rest her and just offer a few short lead walks in the garden to do her business and then back to resting.

Otherwise, with those more serious issues becoming a concern for Lulu, we'd really want to consider having her seen at this point. Her vet can check for those above worries for her. Depending on their findings, we may need her on antibiotics if Lymes is suspect else stronger pain relief and muscle relaxants to help ease her signs and help get her back to the active lass she usually is.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian