Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It's not really a training question...I have an 8 year old…

Customer Question
It's not really a...

It's not really a training question...I have an 8 year old male maltese/havanese mis--he has been the perfect dog in every way--smart, mellow, loving....We have 2 homes--one in boston and the other in NH--since we came from Boston to NH 3 weeks ago he has pooped in the house--not diarrhea--it's like he can't hold it or won't go outside. He is used to the back and forth between homes. There is a new baby in the family--my daughter's baby--they come to visit often..this is the only change. How do I handle this--am so upset...Do I punish him after the fact ??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?

Yes--He is totally house trained --can hold for hours...

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Dog Trainer will know what to do. What is the dog training's name?

Marty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Marty?

He has a liver condition--high alt enzyme--240--takes denamrin supplement daily...

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. The first thing I would want to find out is if this is a behavioral issue or a medical issue. If it seems like he cannot hold it and has to go all of a sudden, or if he seems to hunch over to go often with little to no stool coming out, he may have inflammation of the colon (colitis), which can be brought on by stress, among other things. The new baby may be causing that stress. If it is colitis, then it most likely will respond to a prescription of metronidazole from your vet and increasing fiber in the diet (1 teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin with each meal). In many cases, colitis usually causes some soft or loose stools, but it doesn't always have to, especially if they have developed some irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Now, the stress and anxiety can cause behavorial issues without any inflammation. He may just be acting out. Punishing him would most likely just make things worse in that respect. It would probably just increase anxiety. With those cases, you may need to revert back to potty training tactics. That may mean confining to a smaller portion of the house, using potty pads by the door, taking him out every few hours and rewarding him for urinating and defecating outside (you need to be out there with him and reward him immediately). You may need to also let him have supervised interaction with the baby (no playing or licking but just sitting next to on the couch) and giving him treats while there to make it seem like a more positive encounter. Make sure he gets plenty of playtime, walks and one on one attention, so he isn't feeling like he is being ignored now. If worse comes to worse, you may need to talk to your vet about putting him on some anti-anxiety medications for the short term to help him through the transition. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Marty is doing and to see if you have any other questions.