Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 year old shar-pei pitbull mix. Chloe was

Customer Question
I have a 2 year...
I have a 2 year old shar-pei pitbull mix. Chloe was diagnosed with double ear infections, and given antibiotic packs inserted in her ears. We initially went to the vet because she was stumbling, falling over, not eating, and pacing and climbing behind things at night. This has been going on for about 3 weeks, she had the antibiotics re-inserted over the weekend because the pacing, not sleeping/eating became bad again, our vet said there is still a pretty bad infection in her right ear but it looked better than it initially did. She was put on an oral antibiotic and cerenia as well as prednisone. She has been great for the past 4 days but starting to pace today, we had not given her cerenia for 2 days since she seemed better. Our vet is giving her until Monday and at that point thinks we should see a neurologist. I'm just looking for another opinion. Does Vestibular disease seem to hang on while there is still an infection? These symptoms all started at about the time she was diagnosed with the double major ear infections.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Vestibular disease occurs because of swelling in the ear canal which in turn disrupts the vestibular system. Since ear infections can disrupt the vestibular system, they symptoms of vestibular disease are often seen with inner ear infections. So as long as there is an inner ear infection, the symptoms of vestibular disease may remain.

Here are some great sites on this condition:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

You might ask your vet about prescribing dramamine or bonine to help with the symptoms. You can read about dramamine and bonine usage, precautions and dosage here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dimenhydrinate-dramamine

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/meclizine-bonine-antivert

I've personally had vertigo (human form of vestibular disease) and in humans it can be viral or bacterial. Clearing the infection clears the symptoms. In the case of viral, the body adjusts after a few weeks. Since Chloe's is likely due to an infection, that will likely need to be resolves so if other drugs are given like dramamine or antivert, you will need to monitor her closely as antivert will cause similar symptoms if it is no longer needed.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner