Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not eating and acts like he's in pain, Dog, Pekingese, Can…

Not eating and acts...

Not eating and acts like he's in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog, Pekingese

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Welcome! How can I help with your dog?

Can you give me anything I can try to figure out what's going on with him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Pekingese?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pekingese?

Won't sleep, won't eat, tried to eat grass last night, weird odor around his anus.

5/28/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Where does he seem in pain? Around his back end? Did it smell fishy?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea or straining to pass stool?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Stand by, I'll check his gums. I have gone all over his body with my hands, pressing on different areas, he doesn't react to it like it hurts. He came to me about an hour ago wanting up in the bed, when I reached for him, he yelped like he was hurting. I've not seen any diarrhea or straining. We always have potty pads out at night in case he or our other dog need to go, but there is nothing on the potty pads. I'll check his gums.

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked at his gums, they're mostly black. I have another Pekingese here that's not showing any symptoms, his gums appear the same color.

Ah, he has pigmented gums. In that case, just to be safe, can you roll his lower eyelid down and check that is pink?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
his lower eye lid is pink inside.

Good, I am glad to hear that is normal (just as paling can be a sign of bleeding/circulation issues which are often urgent).

Now given his lapse in appetite with grass eating, this does sound like we have an underlying nausea afoot. As well, the yelp when you reached out sounds like a defensive behavior (a "don’t do that it may hurt" ) as opposed to active severe pain. And with those signs, we'd be most wary that we have a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcer or that he has potentially eaten something harmful (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Oral issues (ie sores or bad teeth) could also appear in this manner but don't sound quite a fit for what you have noted.

With this all in mind, as long as toxic/risky ingestions aren't likely for him, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)] Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and we do tend to use this every 12 hours. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). And if he cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't get the link to PetPlace to work. I have ranitidine on hand, he's a 20 lb dog, can you tell me the dose? Also, since we've been talking, he laid down and went to sleep. He's snoring now.

Hello again,

That is odd, they seem to be working on the site this morning. Anyway, if he is 20lbs, then we can give a quarter of a 75mg Zantac tablet every 12 hours. And since he is snoozing, we can just keep an eye and start that when he wakes.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much, I appreciate your help.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.