Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is continuing to exhibit aggressive behaviors and my

Customer Question
vet is recommending to put...
My dog is continuing to exhibit aggressive behaviors and my vet is recommending to put him to sleep.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I am so sorry this is occurring. Can you tell me when the aggressive behavior started?

Who is the aggression directed to?

Has your veterinarian discussed referring you to a veterinary behaviorist for training modification and help?

Hi Dr. Denney - Lucky was adopted from Texas through 11th Hour rescue here in NJ. He was born in December 2012 and we adopted him in the spring. It was 15 months later when he first nipped at someone (nipped my sister in the rear end on Easter). Since then, he has grown into a 70 lb dog who can be loving with alpha (me), kind to my 90-year old mother-in-law, sweet dog according to the groomer who comes once a month, and yet aggressive to my wife.Last weekend was my daughter's hs prom. My mother-in-law was visiting and slept in the couch in the living room. He was all over her, loving her, kissing her, etc. A few minutes later he was in the master bedroom on his bed on the floor. The door was shut and I was downstairs. My wife entered the bedroom and put out her hand to get him to back up away from the door and he bit her hand and above the pelvic area. Not good.Just a few hours ago, we took him to the vet. She advised to call our behavioral doctor who prescribed the aforementioned pills. As we were leaving, a young man was exiting a bathroom across the hall. Lucky became aggressive with him, and when I restrained him, he actually bit into the vet's coat.When we closed the door, the vet looked at us and said we should put him down, because he was not only aggressive towards this youngster, but when I restrained him he became aggressive with someone else.I am scared I have no alternative but to put him down. Please help me.Tom

Reading through your response now.

Ok I agree this is a very serious situation and I am so sorry that you are going through this.

Where are you located I am going to try and find a veterinarian behaviorist for you to call and start working with.

I think he also needs to be wearing a basket muzzle at time which he can learn to tolerate if we give him spray cheese through the inside of it. This will take down the fear of him biting anyone else while we are working with him.

https://www.dog.com/item/italian-basket-muzzle-tan/P01532/

A veterinarian behaviorist will be able to make the final call on if he can be helped or not. Some dogs (just like some people) have abnormal brain pathways in their responses to stimuli and as such can be very difficult cases to manage.

muzzleupproject.com

https://muzzleupproject.com/muzzle-training/

Those websites go through how to acclimate Lucky Ranger Russo to a basket muzzle.

Once I know where you are located in the states I can start trying to find a veterinarian behaviorist for you to contact.

northern nj

Ok here are three veterinary board certified behaviorists the first one looks to be the one closest to you and should be able to offer the most help.

Your regular veterinarian may need to put in a referral

1. animal-behavior-clinic-of-aera

Animal Behavior Clinic of AERA is the only behavior modification facility in New Jersey that offers a full-time board certified veterinary behaviorist, CPDT-KA certified trainer, and technical staff, all of whom have received their Fear Freesm certifications. We are a one-of-a-kind facility that is readily available for all of your pet’s behavior modification needs, including both comprehensive pet treatment plans and owner education opportunities. The Animal Behavior Clinic of AERA is equipped to offer services from serious behavior modification programs to basic training, as well as everything in between.

Who we are

The new Animal Behavior Clinic of AERA, located less than half a mile from the Animal Emergency & Referral Associates hospital, is a unique and innovative facility under the experienced direction of our board-certified behaviorist. The clinic offers services ranging from serious behavior modification programs for aggression, cognitive dysfunction, and phobias, to kitten classes, as well as everything in between.

Our team works together to offer a comprehensive treatment plan for all patients in a manner that is both safe and effective. The clinic’s seasoned support team works closely with our behaviorist to implement treatment plans that utilize years of education, experience, and research. Our focus isn’t limited to pets with severe behavior issues; our team is also experienced in modifying common misbehaviors in cats and dogs, including leash pulling, furniture scratching, house soiling, displays of anxiety, and more. We also treat birds, pot bellied pigs, ferrets and rabbits. Please call to discuss.

The layout of the facility, which includes a private training room, allows for a quiet, calm, and stress-free environment to optimize the comfort of your pet. With two exam rooms and a waiting room, we provide a seamless and comfortable visit for you as well! We have a one-of-a-kind facility that is readily available for all of your pet’s behavior modification needs, including comprehensive pet treatment plans, pet parent education opportunities, and more.

2. Peter L. Borchelt, Ph.D.
Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist
Animal Behavior Consultant

Address: Animal Behavior Consultant
*****
Brooklyn, NY 11229

Local Phone:(###) ###-####
Toll Free: 1-***-***-****
Fax:(###) ###-####
Website Address: www.AnimalBehavior.com
E-Mail: *****@******.***

contact.html

3. Here is another one a bit farther but both service NJ

http://reisnervetbehavior.com

I wish you all the best. I hope that the boarded behaviorist can help. They will be the most qualified to help you make a decision regarding working with Lucky.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Hi Thomas,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky Ranger Russo. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney

Did this help give you more options?

Have you been able to get in contact with a boarded behaviorist?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian