Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had a 5th digit amputation done for a mast cell tumor

Hi my dog had a...
Hi my dog had a 5th digit amputation done for a mast cell tumor 2 years ago it was stage 2 I believe. he took a course an oral chemo I can't remember the name and we watch his proximal lymph nodes. everything has been okay. I found a pinky growth over the part of bone that was removed...it doesn't look angry and isn't moderated and is kind of squishy and not painful. The surrounding skin is intact. it seems as though it maybe attached to the largest pad on the paw but the large bad skin doesn't look affected. Can this be a reoccutence?
moderated= ulcerated and Prince is male not female
5/25/2017
Katherine Schmidt
Hello. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I would be happy to help answer your questions tonight. Please let me know when you are back online so I can help you. I do appreciate a response within 15 minutes. Thank you!
I am here
The pink area you are seeing, does it appear to be raised at all?
yeah it's raised. it kind of looks like one of the smaller pads he has on his foot.
are mast cell tumor fleshy pink? the one we had removed was ugly and bleeding...is that cause he was licking it? or can mct start out pinky and develop?
What you're describing does sound like the mast cell tumor has regrown. The way to find out for sure would be to go to the vet's office and get a need aspirated of the mass. They might have done this before the original surgery, if not it is where they take a small gauge needle and suck out some of the cells and look at those under the mi roscope.
it isn't a hard mass though does that matter?
Mast cell tumors often do start out as small pink nodules like the one you're describing. But because they have histamine in them, whenever they lick the tumor it cause inflammation and swelling and can make them look ugly like you described-bleeding and ulcreated. Sometimes they get a secondary infection as well.
Mast cell tumors can feel soft. They are kind of chameleons as far as masses go because they have a wide range of what they can look and feel like.
ok ty
You are welcome. Did that answer all of your questions?
I think so

Ok great. I hope you are able to find some answers for your pet.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Katherine Schmidt
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Prince. How is everything going?

Katherine Schmidt
Katherine Schmidt
Katherine Schmidt
Katherine Schmidt